Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: The Rich get richer

Yes - of course many of the global corporations have majority share holders who, if operating in the UK, pay 20% corporation tax on the profit - the dividend on their shares gets paid to their account in some tax haven. This accounts for billions seeping from the UK economy and not circulating in the UK to create work.

As the article says:

The net result being that there are now a very few super rich and the rest of us - the ‘non-rich’
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine

What a load of utter bollo. Almost everything in this and the comments section is a load of hyped junk that bares no relationship to reality.

I can't even be bothered to refute it as it is just so wrong as to be laughable

I would be delighted to be proven wrong about this bleak assessment - it seems to fit the view of many commentators - why don't you let us know what you find such a nonsense.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium3 View Post
    I would be delighted to be proven wrong about this bleak assessment - it seems to fit the view of many commentators - why don't you let us know what you find such a nonsense.
    No, why don't you go and actually do some research before you spout this drivel. Its all myths and cliches dressed up as some profound insight, but is in fact made up.

Tell you what why don't you provide some links to the data that actually supports your argument?

The data from the article was almost entirely from the BBC program - link provided. There are many commentators who believe that the Osborne plan will not save us from recession, but by trying to save too much too quickly - bring about a recession more quickly [I presume you do not dispute this as it is the primary economic argument taking place between the Tories & Labour].

This bit is my projection. Should a recession take place and the expected two tier UK materialize [Will Hutton's description] - those working and those not. The majority of jobs will be provided by national & global corporations who are tending to decrease in number because of takeovers.

If there are a relatively few [large] employers and many unemployed - it does not seem too much of a jump to say that these employers will ask more and more of their staff. Cameron is clearly trying to down grade employment protection laws, since these employers often can move elsewhere [or bring in staff from overseas] - the pressure on the government to reduce these laws even further is significant. Given the number of unemployed globally, unless we could remove ourselves from the global market, there does not seem much to stop the employment practices of the third world applying here.

Clearly I can't provide links for my projection. Is there any other part you would like links for?
    Last edited by Millennium3; 06-02-2011 at 07:22 PM.

The wealthy rich are only 7% of our population. Most of them are Lords or Ladies, control our government. They are very intelligent. They live off the backs of the normal folk, using out taxes for luxury houses, cars, holidays etc.
    knowledge is power

Global free market capitalism is a system which ensures that there is a supremely rich few and a comfortably rich larger group - those who do the direct bidding of the supremely rich. The vast majority, by comparison are poor or extremely poor and the system ensures that the gap between rich and poor is as great as possible, to an extent that the weakest and least able will live close to or below subsistence level.

In some ways, that the voters in a democracy such as the UK allow such disproportionate rewards for a days work demonstrates a very low standard of intelligence throughout the non rich - as it is in their collective power to ensure that rewards are distributed more evenly. Or perhaps it is just the inability to work together for their common benefit.

I would say it is the latter M3. The actions over the last decade or so from the rich would suggest they fear such an eventuality. Personally, I find it hard to find something (especially in politics) that I feel I can really relate to.

One problem is that if the sole purpose of the exercise is to get more money, should any scheme start to be successful the leadership are eminently susceptible to being bought out or bribed - so the threat is easily eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate_croissant View Post
    Most of them are Lords or Ladies, control our government. They are very intelligent.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast