Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are yougov's surveys a valid test of public opinion?

Trusted Member Little_Englander's Avatar

Default Are yougov's surveys a valid test of public opinion?

A yougove 'survey' has found that more people would vote to stay in the EU than to leave.

I wonder, in view of their methods, if it is valid to attribute yougov's conclusions to the population as a whole.

"How it works?
    When you join the YouGov panel you are joining a worldwide community of people who like to express and share their opinions, and earn points along the way.

As a panel member you will receive regular email invitations for new surveys and every time you complete a survey you earn points redeemable for rewards. Sometimes we'll also send you surveys that don't have points but that enter you automatically in a monthly prize draw.

YouGov surveys are all completed online, and can be filled out at a time that suits you. YouGov does not conduct telephone surveys with panel members so you will not be interrupted at inconvenient times when you are at home. (See our Privacy Policy)
    "

http://yougov.co.uk/panel/learn-more/

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/01/21/...y-40-leave-34/

Trusted Member

I have discounted yougov for a long time now as it is not a very realistic poll provider.

I'm sure those who partake in the polls are in the employ of political party's and bigger companies who like to sway opinion in "open" polls.

Very suspect org.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartlepool View Post
    I have discounted yougov for a long time now as it is not a very realistic poll provider.

I'm sure those who partake in the polls are in the employ of political party's and bigger companies who like to sway opinion in "open" polls.

Very suspect org.
    I was beginning to suspect that. We'll have to wait and see what real opinion polls have to say about leaving the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Englander View Post
    A yougove 'survey' has found that more people would vote to stay in the EU than to leave.

I wonder, in view of their methods, if it is valid to attribute yougov's conclusions to the population as a whole.
    Seems a very poor way to get a representative cross section of the public. Even if entirely impartial you will still tend to attract a certain type of people.

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Seems a very poor way to get a representative cross section of the public. Even if entirely impartial you will still tend to attract a certain type of people.
    That's what I thought, but the Mail seems to put great faith in yougov's findings.

http://research.yougov.co.uk/services/q-a/ Although yougov uses the internet to reach people, this web page states that with 62% of people having access to the internet representative samples can and are achieved. In fact it is claimed that such surveys can be more representative than telephone surveys.
    The campany's poll for the Sunday Times showed 37% for staying, 39% for leaving. The situation is fluid and the Polls will reflect this. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/6920

Trusted Member

How was it hijacked, by whom and when?

Trusted Member

I take it YouGov are getting results you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartlepool View Post
    How was it hijacked, by whom and when?
    The hi-jack message seems to have disappeared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast