Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: The Rich get richer

Default Article: The Rich get richer

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine

Trusted Member

'So, here lies the dilemma. In today's hyper competitive global economy we need our super rich and the innovative companies they create more than ever. But they need us too'.................as slaves..........but there are too many slaves...........so?

If the slaves don't like what the plantation owner is doing, why do they keep buying his wares?

Trusted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
    'So, here lies the dilemma. In today's hyper competitive global economy we need our super rich and the innovative companies they create more than ever. But they need us too'.................as slaves..........but there are too many slaves...........so?
    Here in the UK, I think a far bigger problem than the rich getting richer is unemployment. The system does not create enough work or an alternative means of being useful. You can't eat ten dinners a day but it's good to have one or two in reasonable comfort. I'v met enough rich not to envy them. They buy things to fill the hole in the soul.

A point Boris rightly made was that many of the 19th century rich were philanthropists.

Quote Originally Posted by bdf4bnp View Post
    If the slaves don't like what the plantation owner is doing, why do they keep buying his wares?
    The problem is 'impulse buying' and 'retail therapy'. 80% of disposable income is in the hands of women - who are most prone to these habits.

There is little doubt that the nation's economy would be significantly improved if shoppers bought goods produced in the UK when possible, bought them from smaller shops and those owned and active only in the UK. In this way jobs would be created.

However, the attraction of a bargain seems to good to resist for many - irrespective of its source, but purchases of foreign made or foreign supplied goods hasten our slavery. Perhaps when things get tougher realization will dawn.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine

This will continue to happen as we import immigrant labour that is willing to work for the minimum (not a living) wage or even less for cash in hand. The alternative is unemployment, which now traps many people as they can't afford to pay the rent, eat and a small amount of disposable income.

I remember when the minimum wage was introduced, it was a bit of a joke, but now in many areas it is the going rate. Ireland have recently just reduced their minimum wage.

Puts me in mind of a ken Pyne cartoon in Private Eye years ago.

A guy wearing a cardigan, reading the paper whilst sat on a chintz sofa under a standard lamp. He turns to his wife and says" It's not fair, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, ....... but the moderately well off just go on being modrately well off."

I'll get me coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Hog View Post
    This will continue to happen as we import immigrant labour that is willing to work for the minimum (not a living) wage or even less for cash in hand. The alternative is unemployment, which now traps many people as they can't afford to pay the rent, eat and a small amount of disposable income.

I remember when the minimum wage was introduced, it was a bit of a joke, but now in many areas it is the going rate. Ireland have recently just reduced their minimum wage.
    I suspect this is the hidden plan of the Coalition - at least the Tory part. There will become a time, if there is no 'combined people action' when this will seem the obvious next step!

Also from BBC:

BBC News - One in five workers fears losing job, survey suggests

Pressure is being applied!

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Carswell View Post
    Puts me in mind of a ken Pyne cartoon in Private Eye years ago.

A guy wearing a cardigan, reading the paper whilst sat on a chintz sofa under a standard lamp. He turns to his wife and says" It's not fair, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, ....... but the moderately well off just go on being modrately well off."

I'll get me coat.
    I think this is now can be disputed.

in Alan Greenspan’s words ‘the rest of the economy, small business, small banks, and a very significant amount of the labour force, which is in tragic unemployment, long-term unemployment - that is pulling the economy apart’

When you mention the rich getting richer, I thought that you were referring to rich individuals rather than corporations. From what I see, incomes for rich (landed) aren't increasing and times are tough for all. I am not referring to the small sub-sect which are the bankers .

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast