Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Linux-Beginners Guide

After a few more installs I think I've got this nailed now.

There's no need to use a live CD to delete the logical partition first. this can be done in the Debian installer as it goes along. I've come to the conclusion it's best not to use a logical partition at all. i don't know why these ever came about, I think they are probably a legacy thing from earlier computers.

The Debian installer cannot reformat the / partition whilst leaving the /home partition alone because it doesn't seem to recognise the mount points (on installing) if they are in a logical partition. you have to delete the whole installation. the only way around this is to manually create separate primary partitions on installing for /home etc. I didn't know you could have more than one primary partition.

The problem is created if you install Debian after another OS in the first partition. if you allow Debian to automatically partition the free space, it will create a logical partition. To get round this, manually create the partitions and select primary instead of logical.

Useful info. I always manually set/create partitions so hopefully I won't run into the problem you described. Good stuff to know, though!

I provide websites for political candidates and websites for UKIP branches.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McKee View Post
    Useful info. I always manually set/create partitions so hopefully I won't run into the problem you described. Good stuff to know, though!
    As long as you create primary partitions you will be ok. I still don't know what logical partitions are for, or why the Debian installer creates them.

Why are your reinstalling? Surely you only need to do that if you're altering the filesystem type or partition sizes?
    PORK KORMA NAO!
    Vote Pirate!

Trusted Member Baron von Lotsov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lolkitten View Post
    Why are your reinstalling? Surely you only need to do that if you're altering the filesystem type or partition sizes?
    It's because they don't have a Windows XP system.

I got my computer years ago. It came out of a fire and the top to it is all burnt. It cost me a sum total of 0, and I've never had to re-install anything. I follow the motto, if it isn't broken then don't try and fix it!
    MODERATION The ermine out of moderation never eats but once a day

Quote Originally Posted by Lolkitten View Post
    I like to do a clean re-install now and again to clear out the debris. I even do this offline so that I know exactly what my starting system contains. In addition to the install DVD, Debian also supply three software DVD's, so there's no need to do any of this online. The first DVD contains nearly everything you will need though for a sound basic system plus a choice of desktops.

The above though was me doing some experimental installs with a view to having several OS's running at once in Virtualbox. My main system is still Debian 7.1 and has got a little bit cluttered, so I'll be redoing this soon using the new 7.2.

Default Internet Explorer (Windows) Only

I'm really posting here to discover if any sites are still IE-only.

I maintain an instance of windows XP using Virtualbox within Debian because the website of the agency I work for is still IE only. This seems very backward of them and I can't think of any other sites that are like this nowadays, they used to be more common.

Very few sites are now IE-only though disturbingly some sites are becoming Chrome/webkit-only by overly relying on webkit-specific technologies. The agency you work for is indeed way behind the times if they require IE.

I provide websites for political candidates and websites for UKIP branches.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McKee View Post
    Very few sites are now IE-only though disturbingly some sites are becoming Chrome/webkit-only by overly relying on webkit-specific technologies. The agency you work for is indeed way behind the times if they require IE.
    It's part of the NHS so should be fairly up to date, but as we, their workers, are beholden to them they can basically call the shots, which includes being rather lazy when it comes to IT admin.

As it is a closed system (ie employees only) there's no pressing need to have general appeal.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789