Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Searchlight back Libertarian Party

  1. #11
    Gardening Leave
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    Can you please explain how they "jumped in bed" with Hope Not Hate? They did not, as far as I can see, speak to, or even recognise the existence this blogger, it is just someone voicing their opinion.

    Frankly, I can't see a Hope Not Hate member even remotely liking libertarianism anyway. The sort of severe restrictions on the state Thomas and his party want seem at odds with the blogger's views, especially reading some of the gloating pro-authoritarian posts on that blog about BNP membership and the EDL's freedom of association.
    A lot of former Trotskyists have become Libertarians.

  2. #12
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by British-Conservatism View Post
    A lot of former Trotskyists have become Libertarians.
    I prefer tea to coffee. Aren't totally irrelevant statements fun?

  3. #13
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by British-Conservatism View Post
    Er yes
    Libertarian Capitalism (Classical Liberalism) is the stage that has to be reached before the move to Socialism can begin.
    It creates the break down of nation states through free trade and the free movement of people.
    The global economy.
    Depends if you are a 100% libertarian who has no concern for borders or whether you think there is a role for the government to play in limiting immigration.

    And, of course, if "the stage that has to be reached before the move to Socialism can begin" were reached, it would not by any means make socialism an inevitability. Indeed, if unamendable pro-individual constitutions were made in every country, socialism would be impossible.

  4. #14
    Gardening Leave
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    Depends if you are a 100% libertarian who has no concern for borders or whether you think there is a role for the government to play in limiting immigration.

    And, of course, if "the stage that has to be reached before the move to Socialism can begin" were reached, it would not by any means make socialism an inevitability. Indeed, if unamendable pro-individual constitutions were made in every country, socialism would be impossible.
    Libertarianism makes Socialism inevitable.
    Look to South America for the example.

  5. #15
    Gardening Leave
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11,950

    Default

    Only the solidarity of race and nation can fend of the filth of socialism and social liberalism.
    This is what Libertarians always feel to realise.

  6. #16
    Trusted Member Kypros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    Depends if you are a 100% libertarian who has no concern for borders or whether you think there is a role for the government to play in limiting immigration.
    And, out of interest, which is your view? How do you defend it using libertarian philosophy?

  7. #17
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kypros View Post
    And, out of interest, which is your view? How do you defend it using libertarian philosophy?
    If I'm honest with you, I don't have a fixed view on it. Clearly opening our borders completely would be completely disastrous, but it's nice to see skilled foreigners immigrate and seize the chances they are given.

    I don't think if the only defence for an issue was libertarian ideology, I would defend it. So I'd probably settle for something like the LPUK's bilateral agreements policy and a slightly tougher version of our present points system. I also like the 'one-out-one-in' idea to make sure out population density doesn't skyrocket. But as I say, I don't really have a dogmatic stance on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by British-Conservatism View Post
    Libertarianism makes Socialism inevitable.
    Look to South America for the example.
    The early days of the USA? If a strong enough constitution is drafted, and there is government control of the police and the army, then socialism could be held back, whether the masses want it or not. True libertarianism hasn't happened enough for me to be able to quote any examples, so it is still theory, but I can't see a reason why libertarianism makes socialism "inevitable".

    Quote Originally Posted by British-Conservatism View Post
    Only the solidarity of race and nation can fend of the filth of socialism and social liberalism.
    This is what Libertarians always feel to realise.
    Or... just have a really unchangeable constitution and let people associate themselves with whichever synthetic groupings they want?

  8. #18
    Trusted Member Blazing Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    it's nice to see skilled foreigners immigrate and seize the chances they are given.
    Seize a job from an Englishman by undercutting his wage, you mean. What's nice about that?

    Isn't Dr Sean Gabb a Libertarian bigwig? He put out a statement that he was thinking of voting BNP some months ago.

  9. #19
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Star View Post
    Seize a job from an Englishman by undercutting his wage, you mean. What's nice about that?
    Why does "an Englishman" have some divine right to any particular job? I'm not talking about immigration on a large scale here, if you read my previous post, but if there is a niche to be filled, skilled immigration wouldn't be a problem in my eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Star View Post
    Isn't Dr Sean Gabb a Libertarian bigwig? He put out a statement that he was thinking of voting BNP some months ago.
    Yes, he's with the Libertarian Alliance. They make edicts like 'let's lower the age of consent to 14' and 'we almost hijacked the Conservative party'. They self-aggrandise so that they sound like hardened revolutionaries.

    Basically, this is an area where a lot of libertarians disagree and I really don't know what Dr. Gabb thinks about this issue or many other ones.

  10. #20
    Trusted Member Blazing Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    Why does "an Englishman" have some divine right to any particular job? I'm not talking about immigration on a large scale here, if you read my previous post, but if there is a niche to be filled, skilled immigration wouldn't be a problem in my eyes.
    All immigration is a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •