Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised to deter firms from exclusively employing workers from overseas, as he admits his party "got it wrong" on immigration when in government.
He will say Gordon Brown and Tony Blair should not have allowed uncontrolled immigration from new EU states in 2004.
He will also pledge to ban recruitment agencies which use only foreign workers at the expense of "local talent".
But immigration campaigners said Labour had acted with "contempt" in power.
.............. Many in the party blamed the effects on immigration, including the lowering of wages and pressures on social services, for the scale of Labour's defeat in the 2010 general election.
Acknowledging that this was a factor, Mr Miliband will promise measures to help British workers, including:
- Forcing medium and large employers to declare if more than a quarter of their workforce is foreign
- Banning employment agencies from taking on only overseas workers
- Setting up an early-warning system, run by the Migration Advisory Council, to highlight areas where the workforce is "dominated by low-wage labour from other countries"
- Identifying where British jobseekers need better training
- Tougher legislation on the minimum wage, with a doubling of the fine from £5,000 to £10,000 for those who break the law.
If Miliband wants to be sure of winning the next election he needs to do much more to reverse Labour's disastrous immigration policy.
A complete ban on all immigration except vital workers like scientists and doctors, a mass round up and removal of illegals, foreign criminals,asylum seekers and overstayers, immediate deportation for all foreigners,including those from the EU, who break our laws, immediate deportation of all Muslim extremists and terrorist sympathisers however long they've been here.
Then we may begin to get our country back.