Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Abrupt Climate Change Reversal

  1. #1
    Trusted Member manbearpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    On a farm
    Posts
    3,433

    Default Abrupt Climate Change Reversal

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ange-reversal/

    Interesting article in the Washington Times on Monday ..

    The injection of politics into the global-warming hypothesis has made it difficult to know where facts end and falsehoods begin. While alarmists have been blaming their fellow man for every hurricane, tornado and other ill wind whipped up by Mother Nature, science is now concluding that the cause of these damaging storms has nothing to do with human activity.
    Temperatures may go down as well as up terms and conditions apply.

  2. #2
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    4,933

    Default

    "Science says.." "Scientists who stick to facts say.."

    [Alternative Metrics of Tropical Cyclone Impact


    Tropical cyclone damage potential, as currently defined by the Saffir-Simpson scale and the maximum sustained surface wind speed in the storm, fails to consider the area impact of winds likely to force surge and waves or cause particular levels of damage. Integrated kinetic energy represents a framework that captures the physical process of ocean surface stress forcing waves and surge while also taking into account structural wind loading and the spatial coverage of the wind.

    Integrated kinetic energy is computed from gridded, objectively analyzed surface wind fields of hurricanes now available in near real-time from the H*Wind web page

    http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/data_sub/wind.html

    A wind destructive potential rating is constructed by weighting wind speed threshold contributions to the integrated kinetic energy, based on observed damage in Hurricanes Andrew, Hugo, and Opal.]

  3. #3
    Trusted Member Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    "Science says.." "Scientists who stick to facts say.."

    [Alternative Metrics of Tropical Cyclone Impact


    Tropical cyclone damage potential, as currently defined by the Saffir-Simpson scale and the maximum sustained surface wind speed in the storm, fails to consider the area impact of winds likely to force surge and waves or cause particular levels of damage. Integrated kinetic energy represents a framework that captures the physical process of ocean surface stress forcing waves and surge while also taking into account structural wind loading and the spatial coverage of the wind.

    Integrated kinetic energy is computed from gridded, objectively analyzed surface wind fields of hurricanes now available in near real-time from the H*Wind web page

    http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/data_sub/wind.html

    A wind destructive potential rating is constructed by weighting wind speed threshold contributions to the integrated kinetic energy, based on observed damage in Hurricanes Andrew, Hugo, and Opal.]
    I'm not sure if I'm missing the point, which I obviously am, but what has your post to do with MBP's post?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    4,933

    Default

    mbp's post says wind speed = energy, but my post says not so.

  5. #5
    Trusted Member Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    Just from basic physics;

    Wind is due to pressure differences. These are driven by temperature differences. Since the expected warming from AGW is expected (if you believe) to be more concentrated at the poles then the temperature differences should reduce. Less storms.

    Rainfall is how ever increased by more heat. So wetter but less windy. Although with such minor changes predicted you will be hard pressed to notice.
    I've finally got a web site to work!! See my page thingy.

  6. #6
    Gardening Leave
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    1

    Default responses very

    I'm surprized, thanks!

  7. #7
    Trusted Member Besoeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    mbp's post says wind speed = energy, but my post says not so.
    "Is an indicator of....etc"
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  8. #8
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    4,933

    Default

    .."hurricane wind speed - an indicator for the amount of energy in the atmosphere - has remained steady for the past 15 years. Accordingly, there is no evidence that weather extremes are .."
    The argument draws cause-effect from wind speed as the 1 "accordingly" factor.

  9. #9
    Trusted Member Besoeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    .."hurricane wind speed - an indicator for the amount of energy in the atmosphere.
    Indicator is not the same as wind speed = energy,
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  10. #10
    Trusted Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    4,933

    Default

    As a dictionary word, you are right. In this statement, "indicator" is limited to sole agent, logically the 1 determinant, and thus = .

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •