Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC pushing the 'positive discrimination' agenda again.

Default BBC pushing the 'positive discrimination' agenda again.

On 5Live they have just been discussing university access, this time from the point of view of the number of kids from state schools getting into Oxbridge, rather than the emphasis on ethnicity (although I dont believe the BBC actually gives two hoots about working class ethnic British children getting in , they simply want standards lowered to allow more black people into Oxbridge, Asians are already well represented).

However they cited an example of a boy froma state school with 5A* turned down by a Cambridge college for maths. The reason was very clear, he didnt do well enough in the additional STEP test , which is set not by all, but by most of the best colleges for maths. However the BBC brushed this aside as if it didnt matter, suggested that with 5A* there was nothing more he could have done, and allowed the interviewee to imply that state school pupils are rejected because they 'lack the social graces'.

Every year many pupils with exccellent grades are turned down by Cambridge. 5A* is no guarantee for anyone. Private school and grammar school pupils know this, while some pupils who have been 'spoiled' in their small comps where they have been treated as if they are budding Einsteins (simply because the competition in their schools just isnt there), classed as 'gifted and talented' just do nto realise how competitive it is to get into a world class universiity and think 5A* should be an automatic passport.Most people with 5A* will, of course, get in, but Maths demands that little bit more, as do other very popular subjects like Veterinary science and medicine. This has nothing to do with prejudice against state schools and everything to do with a very high standarsd of candidates for few places.
    "The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and ''Progressives''. The business of ''Progressives'' is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." G. K. Chesterton

Didn't a certain party hit the ground running in May 1997, incidently that's the date British history started, before that date nothing else mattered. The standards of GCSE's was dumbbed down, particularly science and maths and a certain party was very keen to help the black students (African) who very rarely attained any 'significant' grades in these subjects. I believe the A-level sylabus was dumbbed down as well, therefore paving the way for easy entry into University.

But, what's this! the Uni's weren't that stupid and realised this was a deliberate lowering of standards and set their own tests or entry levels to negate the political interfence.

You know, I wish I could tamper with my bank balance in the way these pratts tampered with everything else, that way I could just turn a negative value into a positive value.

I believe the A-level sylabus was dumbbed down as well, therefore paving the way for easy entry into University
    A level Maths has been made easier several times over. Its no wonder Cambridge doesn't trust even A* grades any more and needs its own STEP exam to sort the very good from the outstanding. There are plenty of people of every ethnicity at Cambridge, no way is there 'prejuduce', but small numbers of those of African descent, especially in Maths and physical sciences.
    "The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and ''Progressives''. The business of ''Progressives'' is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." G. K. Chesterton

Trusted Member

And don't forget to call all your living expenses, "investments". Sounds so much better than "spending".

Quote Originally Posted by longbow64 View Post
    You know, I wish I could tamper with my bank balance in the way these pratts tampered with everything else, that way I could just turn a negative value into a positive value.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingreen View Post
    A level Maths has been made easier several times over. Its no wonder Cambridge doesn't trust even A* grades any more and needs its own STEP exam to sort the very good from the outstanding. There are plenty of people of every ethnicity at Cambridge, no way is there 'prejuduce', but small numbers of those of African descent, especially in Maths and physical sciences.
    Indeed. Prof. David Starky on BBC1 Question Time (shudders) some years ago said that Cambridge had inserted an extra year in their science degrees just to bring their maths up to scratch.
    Steve

On 5Live they have just been discussing university access....
    Can't rep you again, sadly. What a perceptive and astute analysis!
    Steve

Trusted Member

They always have done.

Quote Originally Posted by mranthonycfc View Post
    They always have done.
    Who have always done what?
    Steve

Trusted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morson View Post
    Indeed. Prof. David Starky on BBC1 Question Time (shudders) some years ago said that Cambridge had inserted an extra year in their science degrees just to bring their maths up to scratch.
    It is not only Maths and it is not only Universities...

Universities and colleges now often include additional basic literacy skills to enable students to undertake the written parts of their courses and examinations. Also, many employers have to provide training in basic writing skills before new recruits can be let loose on clients or in the workplace.

This is all stuff that would have been learned at school if insistence on the Three Rs had not been chucked out by the liberal no-one-fails-and-everyone-passes-something dogma of recent years.

Admittedly the situation is now changing, but very slowly.

On 5Live they have just been discussing university access, this time from the point of view of the number of kids from state schools getting into Oxbridge, rather than the emphasis on ethnicity (although I dont believe the BBC actually gives two hoots about working class ethnic British children getting in , they simply want standards lowered to allow more black people into Oxbridge, Asians are already well represented).

However they cited an example of a boy froma state school with 5A* turned down by a Cambridge college for maths. The reason was very clear, he didnt do well enough in the additional STEP test , which is set not by all, but by most of the best colleges for maths. However the BBC brushed this aside as if it didnt matter, suggested that with 5A* there was nothing more he could have done, and allowed the interviewee to imply that state school pupils are rejected because they 'lack the social graces'.

Every year many pupils with exccellent grades are turned down by Cambridge. 5A* is no guarantee for anyone. Private school and grammar school pupils know this, while some pupils who have been 'spoiled' in their small comps where they have been treated as if they are budding Einsteins (simply because the competition in their schools just isnt there), classed as 'gifted and talented' just do nto realise how competitive it is to get into a world class universiity and think 5A* should be an automatic passport.Most people with 5A* will, of course, get in, but Maths demands that little bit more, as do other very popular subjects like Veterinary science and medicine. This has nothing to do with prejudice against state schools and everything to do with a very high standarsd of candidates for few places.

It wasn't victoria derbyshire, by any chance ?
    Gay or Straight, show your pride. http://www.gaytoz.com/gay_pride_dates.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast