As per the forum rules, I am publishing this letter that was received earlier. Please note that we have acted upon the request. However, for anyone else considering this route for dealing with an issue, I would like you to note the following:
- Sending a letter is the absolute slowest way to get a problem dealt with; use the built-in complaints system. If I had been on holiday, this letter could have been sat by my letterbox for two weeks.
- When making a complaint, include a link to the specific posting. In this case, he attached a barely readable printout. I then had to guess which of the postings in the thread was the subject of the complaint.
- Include details about why you are complaining. Just saying that something is 'libel' doesn't mean that we necessarily agree or know why it might not be true.
- Don't expect us to reveal personal details about forum users. If you want us to breach the data protection act, get a court order.
- Don't claim that I have 'permitted the publication of a libel'. That's utter nonsense if you haven't already informed us of it.
- Don't tell us how to deal with infringements of the rules. The moderators are perfectly capable of judging the appropriate action to take.