Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riot sentences "too severe"

The Police caused the riots by shooting a man dead and then lying by saying he shot first. No shooting, no riot!!

Gardening Leave

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morson View Post
    And in my case, it works. Partly because Housing Benefit (HB) used to be paid, as you say, to the landlord. But as part of a massive plan by NuLiebour to severely punish the vulnerable, disadvantaged, infirm and impoverished, Blair's govt. changed the amount of HB paid. Instead of a single person being entitled to a one bedroom property, now we're only entitled to a bedsit. Consequently, the benefit is lower, currently about £98 per week based on bedsit average rental figure here. This falls short of my monthly rent, so I have to make it up out of my dole. Thankfully, I have great landlords.

As it (HB) is paid to me, and I am legally responsible to pay the rent, I do. Also, the lettings agent wouldn't want 'bits of money' coming in from different sources each month - the single source is me.

I don't have a problem with benefits being stopped, especially for non-British citizens, but it should only be for the most severe crimes (e.g. any drug-dealing, acts of violence, large-scale theft, etc.)
    Get a job and pay your own way!!
    Why should others work themselves into an early grave so you can scrounge off them and live a long life in luxury!!

Rather a drug dealer than a sponger!!

Gardening Leave

Quote Originally Posted by persistantpete View Post
    The Police caused the riots by shooting a man dead and then lying by saying he shot first. No shooting, no riot!!
    A scumbag got shot, his fellow scumbags reacted by committing acts of scumbaggery!!

Plods did one thing right.
    It all went wrong when plod chickened out, turned tail and ran!!

The sentences are too lenient, people were killed by the rioters, all the rioters should get life.
    Life should also mean life!!
    Last edited by 007; 31-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Trusted Member Francis Overdere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Why am I not surprised you have info on accessing benefits and no idea how to work at getting a job?
    I've never needed to work at getting a job. My services have always been in demand. Large financial and commercial institutions,councils,universities, both Labour and Tory governments - I've done research work for them all and not as a civil servant.

And after my years of experience in the work place and with various professions and including literally every class and type of person,I can safely say that my experiences have forced me to the conclusion that you are talking bóllocks.

You have simply no idea of the realities of life.
    Last edited by Francis Overdere; 31-10-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    This is England and .....

(Member of the Association of White Posters.)

I know that the IPCC initially came out and said he fired first, but then came out after a few days, far too long, and said that Duggan didn't shoot at the police? But you forget that this fine upstanding member of the community was carrying an illegal handgun (of which all are proscribed in this country). If you carry a gun, then you are likely to be shot, maybe on purpose, maybe by accident, maybe in self-defence. If officers of CO19 stop you and wave their H&K MP5s in your face and tell you to get down, it is probably advisable to do so. Apparently, eye-witnesses said that Duggan refused (who knows, possibly he didn't want to get stopped while carrying a gun) - maybe he acted the big man and as the Met said, they thought he presented a real and imminent danger.

I lived in London for a couple of decades and never had CO19 descend on me with their guns drawn. It would be somewhat naive to think that the police had no idea who the person was and that he was likely to be tooled up. You may recall Harry Stanley being shot while carrying a table leg (being mistaken for a sawn off shotgun). While the ruling was "unlawful killing" by the police, it should be noted that this person had done time for armed robbery as well as GBH with intent and others. I imagine that the police are well aware of the criminals past and present that live on their patch, and mistakes will happen. I cannot imagine that the general hostility shown towards police help in these matters, especially those with history.

Having said that, from 1995-2010 (obviously pre-riots) there were 33 people shot by police. You can see them listed in this article. It isn't a huge figure, but it does seem that many shouldn't have been shot (I know that there is no doubt a lot more to each case that the Mail states), but many could expect to be shot. Waving guns, replica or real and/or firing at police, is likely to end in you being shot. Police have shot dead 33 people since 1995 - only two marksmen have ever been named | Mail Online

But it doesn't give the right to people across London, Birmingham and elsewhere to carry out wanton acts of civil disobedience. The police did not cause the riots - the rioters caused the riots.
    angelmanuk.org
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Trusted Member

It's not the family that should lose benefits if a rioter is sent down. The local community should all have group penalties. Then the disconnected lawless hoodlums will see they really do matter.

Trusted Member Francis Overdere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    It's not the family that should lose benefits if a rioter is sent down. The local community should all have group penalties. Then the disconnected lawless hoodlums will see they really do matter.
    Most of the knee jerk reactions from politicians and posters on here are just that - knee jerk reactions. Before you can remove benefits from anybody,or evict families from their homes ( Another insane idea.) you have to work out the cost both economically and socially.

I mean some loonies on here says there should be no such thing as welfare. How stupid is that?
    This is England and .....

(Member of the Association of White Posters.)

Trusted Member

The value of property that an individual has damaged could be assessed. The person then can be required to work for the owner in some way for the hours needed to repay.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Get a job and pay your own way!!
    Why should others work themselves into an early grave so you can scrounge off them and live a long life in luxury!!

Rather a drug dealer than a sponger!!
    Get a decent brain, then you'll be able to think like a grown up.

Rather an idiot posts on here than an American imbecile!!
    Steve

Which happened in London. What was that to do with Salford, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol...? Nothing. No brains, no sense.
    Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast