Thread: The Hunt for Tony Blair

Default The Hunt for Tony Blair

Did you watch this?

I found it very funny - but it was an uncomfortable reminder of how unbelievably dreadful [and criminal?] the 'New' Labour governments were.

Why isn't Blair in prison?

It seems as if the cream of British comedy actors wanted to be involved.

Comic Strip Presents... - 4oD - Channel 4
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine

No I didnt actually see this, but Blairs Government so worried me that I was moved into action over the Iraq war and went on the anti war march. Prior to that the nearest I'd got to political was not buying 'The Sun' on principle.

I didnt know much about who it was organised by (and as it turned out there were lots of different factions) all I knew was working class lads are the most likely to get killed in war, and I didnt believe there were weapons of mass destruction lurking anywhere, and I believed it was about oil which is why the US were so keen to go in.

I've always believed Blair agreed to support him so the Americans would help him with the Irish extremists, and I think my hunch has been vindicated by the fact that since the 'war on terror' began, we havent heard from them.

How Blair can say last week he still believes he did the right thing is beyond me. I fully support the troops as they are following orders, but I thought then, and still do, that we shouldnt have gone in

English Angel for a while I was tempted to call you 'Fallen Angel' but after that post most of which I agree with I'll stick with English Angel. My first march was against the invasion of Iraq too, just before the big one.

It makes me laugh about our democracy when Saddam can ride in an open top car knowing his people are armed and Tony Blair has to cancel a book signing because like wildfire the rumour goes ballistic all around the web....Get Blair. This man can only appear in the UK with heavy security and no publicity.
    UK Column Live For real alternative news

Trusted Member

Always been slightly amused by Comic Strip but very rarely thoughtit was great. But this is the best piece of work I've seen them do.
    Nasty, acidic and mean spirited, everything a great political satire, in the tradition of Swift or Gilray, should be.

I thought Stephen Mangan's Blair was going to be a bland impression of a man who grins a lot but the creepy messianic socio-path was almost uncomfortable to watch. In a lesser film his hiking holiday with Robin Cook would look like a cheap shot, but Mangan's murder of Cook was done brilliantly- “He was one of my best friend, but life goes on.”

Jennifer Saunders once did Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher (very prophetic!) but doesn't compare as a brilliant concept to what we saw here; Thatcher as Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard with Tebbit in the butler role was hilarous. Anyone familiar with the film will know what a batty deluded egotist Swanson's Norma Desmond was. Tebbit plays the films of her faded imperial fantasies on a constant loop.
    Last edited by youngian; 09-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.

I knew was working class lads are the most likely to get killed in war
    And disproportionately working class ethnic British lads too.

They should refuse to sign up - a massive British boycott of the armed services.
    "The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and ''Progressives''. The business of ''Progressives'' is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium3 View Post
    Did you watch this?

I found it very funny - but it was an uncomfortable reminder of how unbelievably dreadful [and criminal?] the 'New' Labour governments were.

Why isn't Blair in prison?

"Realising that they could not compromise there privileged positions, Tony Blair and Queen Elizabeth signed the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, which secretly abolished much of the crime of treason (section 36.3). It substitutes “such person shall be hanged by the neck until such person is dead” with” after being convicted thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for life”, the important phrase is “ after being convicted” and as we all know established government and monarchy are above any judicial system (due to passing Corpus Juris in 1992) so the act of treason no longer applies to the privileged."

Trusted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Hog View Post
    "Realising that they could not compromise there privileged positions, Tony Blair and Queen Elizabeth signed the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, which secretly abolished much of the crime of treason (section 36.3). It substitutes “such person shall be hanged by the neck until such person is dead” with” after being convicted thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for life”, the important phrase is “ after being convicted” and as we all know established government and monarchy are above any judicial system (due to passing Corpus Juris in 1992) so the act of treason no longer applies to the privileged."
    Another quirk of law is the PM's Royal Perogative powers, which includes the right to send troops into battle without the permission of parliament (he was dragged and kicking to have a parliament debate over Iraq).
    Without this perogative making promises to a foriegn leader to send British troops into battle, without the consent of parliament, sounds suspicously like Charles I territory. No surprising our would-be sun king hid his Catholic conversion.