Thread: The first "Carry On" film...

Default The first "Carry On" film...

I know we have all seen it before, several times probably but for me it's one of those films that has to be watched... again. Yes Carry On Sergeant is on the box this very afternoon (Film4 3.10pm) and I have to say I'm quite looking forward to it

It is not racist to be concerned about immigration.

Quietly patrolling the corridors of the BDF. Looking out for the sick and afflicted.

One of my favourites has to be Carry On Doctor.
    Essex Council obtained a Court Order and forced woman to have caesarean and removed daughter from her womb

I notice you were on the TV again yesterday matron...
    It is not racist to be concerned about immigration.

Quietly patrolling the corridors of the BDF. Looking out for the sick and afflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rackham View Post
    I notice you were on the TV again yesterday matron...
    Yes. It wasn't very comfortable though. I should have removed the aerial first!

Essex Council obtained a Court Order and forced woman to have caesarean and removed daughter from her womb

Carry On Sergeant truly is a classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Matron View Post
    Yes. It wasn't very comfortable though. I should have removed the aerial first!

Just what DID you do when you found Wilfred Hyde-Whyte with a daffodil stuck in his....<ahem>....jacksy?
    Steve

Trusted Member

Favourite Carry on joke is with Charle Hawtrey in the Guillotine-

-A message for you sir
    -Put it in the basket I'll read it later.

Khyber is one of the best as is Screaming despite Sid being absent, although we get the great Harry H Corbett and a vampy Fenella Fielding (phwoaar).

One of may favourite Sid James roles was in 'Girls' playing a dodgy councillor called Sidney Fiddler.

Despite being a massive Bilko fan the only one I haven't seen is the 'follow the camel' which has Phil Silvers in it.

I know we have all seen it before, several times probably but for me it's one of those films that has to be watched... again. Yes Carry On Sergeant is on the box this very afternoon (Film4 3.10pm) and I have to say I'm quite looking forward to it

Funnily enough I must have missed that one. Thanks for making me aware, I'll look out for the repeat.
    UK Column Live For real alternative news

Quote Originally Posted by youngian View Post
    Favourite Carry on joke is with Charle Hawtrey in the Guillotine-

-A message for you sir
    -Put it in the basket I'll read it later.
    Brilliant reminder of that classic wit.
    UK Column Live For real alternative news

One of the reasons i like to watch 50's, 60's and 70's british films is because it brings back all sort of memories of my childhood and youth. In many cases im only half following the film and more interested in what else is going on - the fashions, the music, the cars, the street scenes, the shops. In a lot of the b&W Elstree, Boulting and Gaumont films, for example you see bomb sites still there from the war. i remember playing in the 10 year old remains of bombed houses, and gaps in rows of buildings, unaware why there was a gap. A film like 'A Taste of Honey' is a goldmine of social history. I remember the seaside as it is depicted in that film. Iremember girls being dressed like that, i remember shops like that. When you were there, when the images you see arent new but revive previously stored one out your brain, a film become more than a film, its like reliving a small part of your past. I remember going to see Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines at the cinema with my mate Dave. I was working in a Hi FI shop, on 6/10/6 a week. We went on the bus (Number 9, fare was 6d) and rolled about laughing at it. Its more than a film, its one evening of my life.

I also worked in a Foundry. I remember a machine shop that looked like this: (the right hand image is Carnaby Street 1967)

I remember girls in the sixties that looked like this

and women who looked like this

and seaside towns like this

Last edited by internetcynic; 16-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Islamic oppression and sexist sharia law should not be allowed free rein in our democratic society.
    King Mike is Dead, long live King Simon of Jerilderia