Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of Libertarian's are you

Default What type of Libertarian's are you

Just wondering what kind of Libertarian's you guys are, theres lots of types, after looking at your manifesto it seems your a fusion between Libertarian conservatism and Mutualism, but please correct me if im wrong.

Im not here for trouble, Libertarianism is quite new to me and i would like to learn about you guys. you interest me.

Have a nice day.
    British By Birth... English By The Grace Of God.

People's Democratic United Kingdom of Fascism

Your question is clearly directed at the LPUK leadership, but since you said you are keen to learn others' viewpoints, I'll offer you mine.

I advocate absolute minimum government, based on the principle that the role of the state is to protect individual liberty. The minimum government I advocate would consist of a two-chambered, all-elected legislature to formulate law, but limited by a constitution so that they can pass no law which does not protect individual liberty. To enforce these laws, an independent judiciary would be appointed by the third and final separated power, an elected executive (president).

This would leave individuals free to trade with one other, and assist one another by means of voluntary cooperation.

Any further questions on these proposals, I'll be happy to answer them.

Trusted Member

Quote Originally Posted by kafir View Post
    To enforce these laws, an independent judiciary would be appointed by the third and final separated power, an elected executive (president).
    So like the US Supreme Court then?

Also, would you get rid of the monarchy and the state religion?

Quote Originally Posted by HM View Post
    So like the US Supreme Court then?
    Not far off.

Also, would you get rid of the monarchy and the state religion?
    Of course. Monarchy is despotism and religion is immoral.

State-sanctioned and state-subsidised religion is especially dangerous, even if it looks like this:

it's still collectivism, and control, and should be abandoned asap.

Trusted Member

Monarchy is despotism and religion is immoral.

State-sanctioned and state-subsidised religion is especially dangerous
    I agree with you on the religion point but I'd probably keep the monarchy as long as it had no state-funding and no powers that other citizens do not possess. That way, despotism would be impossible unless the monarchy launched a coup (and let's face it, that's not happening any time soon).

I agree with you on the religion point but I'd probably keep the monarchy as long as it had no state-funding and no powers that other citizens do not possess. That way, despotism would be impossible unless the monarchy launched a coup (and let's face it, that's not happening any time soon).
    Err...sorry to spell it out for you but if they have no power, and no privileges, then they aren't monarchs. And an executive branch would still be required.

Plus, no privileges means that the FORMER monarchs would be subject to tax (estimated 2% & flat)

Trusted Member

Err...sorry to spell it out for you but if they have no power, and no privileges, then they aren't monarchs. And an executive branch would still be required.

Plus, no privileges means that the FORMER monarchs would be subject to tax (estimated 2% & flat)
    I'd keep them as a hereditary head of state but yes, no power or privileges: I suppose that means they aren't dictionary-definition monarchs but I don't really know what else to call them.

And in MY far-superior libertarian Britain they would only have to pay Sales Tax and would not be subject to theft from the government

I'd keep them as a hereditary head of state but yes, no power or privileges: I suppose that means they aren't dictionary-definition monarchs but I don't really know what else to call them.
    A head of state with no power is not a head of state! If they have power and are unelected, they are despots. If they have no power, then they don't need a special word. They are not rulers of any kind. A purely ceremonial "monarch" is pointless - some sort of showbusiness fraud. Just think about what you're saying!

And in MY far-superior libertarian Britain they would only have to pay Sales Tax and would not be subject to theft from the government
    All taxation is theft. Sales tax is still taking money. But provided the instruments the tax pays for are moral, then its the best possible scenario. I'm not opposed to value-added taxes, although they are harder to apply at the point of sale, and therefore corruption would creep in more easily.

Trusted Member

A head of state with no power is not a head of state! If they have power and are unelected, they are despots. If they have no power, then they don't need a special word. They are not rulers of any kind. A purely ceremonial "monarch" is pointless - some sort of showbusiness fraud. Just think about what you're saying!
    Well that's what I want; a purely ceremonial "monarch". Nothing showbusiness about it, it's more about conserving a harmless tradition which will cost the nation nothing and allow it to retain a key part of its identity.

All taxation is theft. Sales tax is still taking money. But provided the instruments the tax pays for are moral, then its the best possible scenario. I'm not opposed to value-added taxes, although they are harder to apply at the point of sale, and therefore corruption would creep in more easily.
    I think my preference for VATs is more to do with choice over coercion but of course income tax can have its difficulties as well.

Well that's what I want; a purely ceremonial "monarch". Nothing showbusiness about it, it's more about conserving a harmless tradition which will cost the nation nothing and allow it to retain a key part of its identity
    And would any citizen be free to act as monarch instead of the German-Greek fascists we currently support?

If I were a rich man, could I pay someone a wage to act as monarch. You're essentially describing an acting job. Can we have Emma Watson as Queen and Russell Brand as King?

What the **** is the point? Ceremony for the sake of ceremony is pointless. Tradition for the sake of tradition makes no sense whatsoever. National identity has nothing to do with justice and liberty. Who will pay for the ceremony, by the way?

It is ENTIRELY showbusiness.

So how would you structure your libertarian state and would you have an executive or not, to oversee the legislature and judiciary?

Or do you suppose to separate your powers amongst the aforementioned showbiz class?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast